Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Flourless Fudgy Brownies!

This recpie is not one that I have created, because I am awful at creating recipes for baked goods. I have no idea where to even start when it comes to figuring out how much of what ingredient to add. This is one of my favorite recipes I have found for a gluten-free treat. There are so many gluten-free products on the market right now, but a lot of them are made from potato flour, tapioca flour, rice flour, etc. (side note: new studies are finding rice/rice products contain tiny amounts of arsenic!! From now on I will only be eating rice when I have sushi, I can't not eat sushi!). I am not feeling that. It may be gluten-free but I think I would rather eat gluten from whole grains instead of these "white" carbohydrates that don't have the lowest glycemic index. I suppose that these brownies don't have the lowest glycemic index either, considering they do have sugar in them. Oh well. They still taste really good! Sometimes that is all that matters! Sometimes. Let's not get carried away.

I found this recipe at: http://www.health-bent.com/treats/paleo-fudgy-brownies . They are calling these brownies Paleo. But they aren't. They could be though, if you tweak the recipe and leave the sugar out. I think they mention that on their page. I have to agree with the people at health-bent, these brownies do taste A LOT like "real" brownies. By "real" I mean the awful for you ones that come from a box mix.

Ingredients:

  • 1 c almond butter
  • 1/2 c canned coconut milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/3 c cocoa powder
  • 1/4 c sugar (optional or sweetener of choice)
  • 1/3 c chocolate chips (use the highest % cocoa you can find, around 70% is good)
  • 1/3 c chopped nuts ( I used walnuts)

  • Directions:

    Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish.
    In a bowl whisk together the almond butter, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla extract and salt. Then add the cocoa powder, sugar, and chocolate chips.
    Pour into the prepared baking dish and top with chopped nuts.
    Bake for approx. 18 minutes.

    Of course I do not have a picture for you! Suprised? You shouldn't be! I could have borrowed the one from health-bent's page but those are not the brownies I made, so I didn't.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment