Monday, November 19, 2012

Flourless pancakes!

I have been going through an "anti-grain as a source of carbohydrate" phase. It has been on and off for the last 3 months, and there is no one reason in particular. I have been experimenting with cooking with different types of flour and no flour. I am really liking coconut and almond flours. Coconut flour has about 11g less carbohydrates in 100g than white flour does. Over half of the carbohydrates in 100g of coconut flour is fiber. Also, the glycemic index isn't too high. So even though coconut flour is a source of carbohydrates, it is a better source then refined white flour that will cause your blood glucose to spike and leave you hungry only a short while later. Coconut flour is also a more healthy option than whole-wheat/whole-grain flours.

When I do eat foods made from "regular" flour, it is whole-grain, 99% of the time. Even though whole-grain flours are more healthy than enriched white flour, sometimes I still feel like they are "empty calories". I know that they provide heart-healthy fiber and some other semi-beneficial things, but for the amount of calories in bread, pasta, etc, I would rather be filling up on a lighter, healthier option. I really like bread, pasta, and baked goods, and I am super excited to have found healthier alternatives for making these foods.

 I don't think I would be able to fully eliminate bread, pasta, and some baked goods from my diet, nor do I have any interest in doing so. I try to eat whole-grains in moderation though, just because if I eat too many I feel bogged down and crummy. I am a pretty firm believer that it's fine to eat all foods in moderation. Some people, who do not have gluten intolerances such as Celiac Disease, willingly give up all types of grains for various reasons. People who eat "Paleo" are the main ones who come to mind. I know I have talked about Paleo eating on here in the past, and although I still disagree with some of the "facts", I am warning up to this lifestyle. I find the Paleo lifestyle very interesting, and am in love with some Paleo recipies I have found. When it comes down to it though, being Paleo is not a lifestyle that is for me. I am all about eating healthy and will continue to eat and cook several Paleo recipes, it is just not practical for me to all together eliminate grains (and dairy, but we are talking about grains today).

I am constantly browsing the web for new recipies to try. I came across this one back in August, and I am in love with it (I forgot where I found it though, I've seen it on a couple of websites). Take note that after going on about coconut flour I am posting a recipe that uses no flour. haha.

Almond Butter Pancakes

1-2 ripe bananas (mashed)
1-2 tbs almond butter
1 egg

Optional: blueberries and/or chopped walnuts

Mash bananas in a bowl with a fork.
Add in egg and almond butter, mix well. Batter will have some banana lumps.
I use coconut oil to grease my frying pan, but use your choice of grease.
Pour batter onto hot pan in about 3 inch round cakes (if they are larger they are harder to flip).
Wait until bubbles form before flipping. Make sure they are cooked well and not gooey!
I like to eat mine with maple syrup.

I apologize for the crappy picture. I am not one to take a lot of pictures while I am cooking. The top left pancake has blueberries and walnuts, the top right has only blueberries, and the bottom one is plain. I think I like them with just walnuts, but of course I do not have a picture of that kind!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment