Sweet Potato Gnocchi
2 sweet potatoes – cooked and mashed (I poke holes in mine and microwave them, about 3 min on each side for 1)
1 cup of flour- start with this and add more as needed (until the dough is not very sticky)
1. Mix ingredients together until a dough forms. You want it to be a manageable, not too sticky consistency.
2. Get a pot of water boiling
3. Take small sections of the dough and roll it out on a floured surface. Roll the dough into long, thin snake-like shapes
4. Cut the gnocchi into ½- 1 inch long sections. It gets larger when it is boiled.
5. Add gnocchi to boiling water and cook for about 5 min or until it is cooked to your liking (I always try a piece before taking it out of the water) I usually have to cook it in a few batches. One batch will do if you have a huge pot.
6. While gnocchi is boiling get a pan heated up with olive oil and/or butter
7. Add gnocchi to pan after taking it out of the water. I cook mine until it has a little crunch to it and is golden brown
Ingredients for spinach and parmesan sauce:
Fresh spinach – tear it into small pieces, as much as you want. It shrinks when it is cooked.
Butter (optional; sometimes there is enough butter left on the gnocchi from pan frying it)
Milk and/or heavy cream
Shredded parmesan cheese
I do not measure any of these ingredients. I combine them all in a sauce pan together until they are well combined and the cheese is melted. You can also add the spinach to the frying pan and sauté it with the gnocchi if you'd like. When everything is ready I dump the gnocchi into the pot and mix with the cheese sauce. This makes enough to serve 2. Depending on how much you eat, there may or may not be leftovers. It is just as good reheated!
I am working on getting the pictures to be larger. In the meantime just click on it and it will enlarge!