Thursday, November 15, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai

I have had a spaghetti squash sitting on my sideboard for the past two weeks. I have looked at the thing daily, but have been to lazy to make something with it. I knew what I wanted to make with it, just have not have the drive. Also for the last two weeks I have been eating more grains and carbs than what I would prefer. I go through phases with grains, like pasta and bread. Somedays I love them and other days I wish they didn't exist. I can do without them just fine, and feel a lot better and more energetic when I don't eat them. They are my "I'm in a lazy mood" go-to foods. I need to not be lazy and actually cook well-thoughtout meals. I love cooking and eating, and have so many meal ideas I want to make, but sometimes cooking is too time consuming. Atleast through all of this food laziness I have been getting in a workout daily.

Last night I decided it was time to eat the spagetti squash and get out of my carb funk. I made spaghetti squash pad Thai! Whenever I go to a Thai restaurant, pad Thai is my go to. I cannot and will not get a way from it. I looked over a couple of recipes online, but for the most part I just did my own thing with the ingredients. I don't really like creating or following recipes. Maybe I just don't like to measure things. I didn't have some of the recommended ingredients either.

First I baked the spaghetti squash in the oven. After it was cooked I separated the strands with a fork and set it aside. I didn't have a clove of garlic, so I just used garlic powder. I put some garlic powder and chopped scallions in a frying pan on low-medium heat. Then I added some shrimp. While that was starting to cook, I started to mix the pad Thai sauce in a bowl. I added about 3 tablespoons of fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, juice from 1 lime, and some water and vinegar. On a side note, fish sauce smells really bad. This was the first time I had ever cooked with it. It's also super salty. I do not like salty things and never add salt to anything. Also, I cut a nice gash in my thumb while I was cutting the lime in half. Anyway, I tried to stir the sauce together, but the peanut butter was making things difficult. I ended up just dumping it in the frying pan with everything else to soften the PB. Recipes online said to use sweet chili sauce. I do not have sweet chili sauce. I used a little bit of sirracha sauce instead. I also added some honey. After the sauce was blended together I added the spaghetti squash to the frying pan. I ended up adding in some more sirracha and water to tone down the fish sauce. I let everything cook together for a couple of minutes, just to make sure the spaghetti squash was fully coated with the sauce. Then I put it on a plate with some sushi I bought and dinner was served! I even used chopsticks to eat! I think the sauce I made was a little more mild then what you would get at a restaurant, but still very flavorful. It was delicous! Also very filling! I had my leftovers for lunch at work today. I will definitely be making this meal again!

No comments:

Post a Comment